[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

I have a few questions

Hi All,

I have a few questions:

1.) After reading numerous posts on RSG gaps, why would anyone want to build
an async rotary ? I think sync motors are plentiful (you can turn async into
sync easily by grinding/milling flats on the armature). Sync gaps are easier
on your system. Varying the break rate means going to a little more touble
(i.e. you need a disk and a "x" electrode number for every diffeent BPS), but
I still think its cheaper and less of a pain in the ... than getting a new
transformer every time you goof up on the async setup.

2.) Regarding the formula Watts= 1/2 CV^2  x BPS/ EFF. How do you calc the EFF
of a AC system ??!??. Iīve heard values from 45% to 85%. Thatīs a pretty wide
margin, allowing a lot of "error".

3.)What is wrong with the formula Vsec=(Vpri*Cpri)/Csec ? With a second
formula Sparklength= Vout/3* 10^5V/meter you could easily calc the spark
length. Why doesnīt this give an accurate value? The BPS would be included in
the Vpri variable. Or am I missing something?

4.) Some of you  (i.e. John F., Greg L) are showing values for spark length
vs. BPS. You mention at 1 BPS the coils puts out streamers of so an so length.
How can you measure a spark length at such a low BPS ?!?. Iīve tried this, but
the sparks are so erratic (due to the low BPS) I couldnīt even give you an
average of the spark length. I think you would need a BPS rate of at least
75-100 BPS to give somewhat accurate, constant results.

5.)  Here is one last question esp. directed to John Freau. You mention the
square law you derived from empirical results. I tried to "resurrect" the
formula from the watts/sparklength table you mentioned, but without any luck.
Could you please pass me the complete formula again ? Why is there such a
dramatic difference between the J.F. values and the output the JHCTES gives ??

Thanks for the help,

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard