[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

  Terry, Bart, All -

  I agree that measuring the TC input energy (power x time) would be
difficult. However, this test can be greatly simplified if a constant load
is used (controlled sparks). The advantage of a constant load in testing
any electrical apparatus is that the input conditions can be easily
correlated with the output conditions. The reason is because instantaneous
time does not have to be considered. Both the input and the output
waveforms are automatically averaged out. The overall losses are also
averaged out.

  If the test conditions are properly set up the power factor will be close
to 100 percent. The constant load (sparks) will be mostly resistive.

  For example if the input is 960 watts and the bks are 120 and the sparks
are 2 feet long then the TC is producing 8 watts per break (including
losses) and four watts per foot of spark. The effect of an existing
conductive path in the air and some other considerations like Vp and Ls,
etc, come into play, but this would at least be a start. This could then be
compared with the JHCTES computer program which is a watts to controlled
spark program.
  JHC