[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: What is CW?

Fr. Tom,
With all due respect to you and your great expertise in this area I offer
this minor correction to your explanation of CW as it is critical in the
understanding of information technology.  CW, by the IEEE Standard, means
continuous wave, although it is used as a carrier wave in most
communications.  The definition also goes one step further in that it
specifies that each oscillation is identical.  Therefore, there can be no
variation in amplitude frequency or phase as this would imply modulation.
And for the originator of this question, modulation is how a continuous wave
is altered due to the information that is imposed onto(or mixed with) it.

I hope this helps.

Russ Thornton
Sr. Radar Systems Engineer
CSR 2040,