[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Efficiency

- snip -

<<
 I'm not concerned about the cost of power.  My interest is efficiency
 is from a physics standpoint of building things that work as well as
 they can.  Suppose one wanted to produce a longer spark...for
 instance 2000 feet long.  Efficiency would probably become quite
 important as a practical consideration by then.  Lessons learned
 at the lower powers could be used to scale upwards.

 In a less extreme case, if you keep increasing your power, you
 might get the point where your residential AC mains service can't
 supply enough power to increase your spark length, then efficiency
 will become important to you.

 But I understand that different coilers have different goals.  Your
 goal of producing the longest spark from a certain size or diameter
 of secondary is as worthy as any other.  In fact, I recently posted
 the results of a similar test I did in which I tried the get max spark
 length from a small secondary wound with thin wire.

 John Freau

John,

Point well taken.  I am going to reach the limit of my mains capability soon -
at least without rewiring everything and installing new breakers.  You can bet
if someone finds a way to increase the efficiency of these systems that I
would try to incorporate it into my design.  Then, of course, there is the
newer, larger system someday.

Ed Sonderman