[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Very low Fo Coils (was:not so scary idea)

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "L. Robertson" <LWRobertson-at-email.msn-dot-com>
>
> Hi
>
> While perusing the library at UC Northridge some time
> ago I happened upon one of Ryan's books on high
> voltage testing. One of the generators was a Tesla coil
> in all but name, consisting of about 20 stacked iron core
> sections with little toroids between each, and a big one
> on top. Fo was 180 Hz, and it was fed by a tripler directly
> off the 60 Hz feed.
>
> LR

That was a "resonance transformer" of which a bunch were made by GE
(mostly for use in generating 1 MeV xrays. I believe that Charlton was
the leading developer of them. They were iron core, as you say, and the
spacing between the stacked windings was chosen to minimize the voltage
stress between layers. The taps also were used along the accelerator
tube for the electrons.  Of course, HV testing was another application
for the resonance transformer.

As I recall, the frequency tripler was kind of interesting, because it
essentially worked by using the ripple from rectified three phase supply
power.

The advantage of one of these for breakdown testing was that it had
fairly high output impedance, so when the flashover occurred, there
wasn't much energy behind it, to limit the damage to the test object.

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075                     Mail Stop 161-213