[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc welder current limiting (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 03:11:16 -0600
From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Arc welder current limiting (fwd)

Max:

    I would suggest taking a drive over to your local home improvement store
or building center, such as Builders Square, Home Depot or any vendor that
carries a similar product line.  Most will offer several brands of arc
welders that would be a suitable choice for a pole transformer current
limiting device.  I purchased a Century AC 230 amp (output) rated welder
about two years ago and it has worked out well.  It appears that Century is
also the supplier to Sears for their units, since they are identical except
for the paint job and decals.  I paid $197.00 on 3/30/98, gee I even still
have the receipt!  This model is compact and easy to store under a work
bench and I mounted it on a platform with casters to make moving it around a
real easy task.  I have run over 15 Kw input to my coil and the welder
didn't die.  It was "sweating" pretty hard at this level and the line cord
to it got very warm with 3-4 minute runs.  I wouldn't buy the AC/DC welder
models, it's extra cost that wouldn't be used, unless you plan to actually
weld--( that would be odd --  :^)  ).  As I recall, Lincoln made a similar
model that was nicer but ran around $240-- again that was two years ago.
Just make sure to get one that has the means of a simple output current
adjustment.  Have fun stimulating the economy!

Chuck