[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primary/sec clearance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 07:02:24 EST
From: Hollmike <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: primary/sec clearance (fwd)

Bob,
   It sounds like you have a good design.  I wouldn't tighten the primary.
You should keep at least the clearance you have until you test fire it.  As
long as you don't get arcing between the primary and secondary, it should be
fine.   When you go to adjust the coupling, you might want to start with the
inner turn of the primary about 50mm below the bottom of the secondary and
adjust it from there.
   I don't know how easy it is to construct the rolled type cap, but I think
the flat plate type has less self inductance and thus a higher Q.  I would go
for the lithograph plates myself.   Be sure to use many of the poly sheets
between the plates for insurance against punctures.  I would guess you would
want a total of 0.5 mm thickness at least.
   Hope this helps.
Mike Hollingsworth