[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: sparkgap motor help needed. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:24:19 -0600
From: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: sparkgap motor help needed. (fwd)

to: Jason

You can turn this into a 3600 RPM synchronous motor by "shaving" the
armature on two sides.  By filing or machining two large flat spots on the
armature it can become synchro at 3600 RPM.  An 1725 RPM induction motor
would become an 1800 RPM synchro by filing or milling 4 flat spots on the
armature.  On a 1/4 hp motor with a 3 1/2 inch dia armature a suitable
amount to grind away would leave a flat approx 1 inch wide.  This value
could be scaled up for a larger 1/2 hp motor.  Alway note that when you
create a synchro motor you loose a tremendous amount of horsepower.  A 3/4
hp to 1 hp motor is usually required to run a 10 - 12 inch dia. disk, but
your 1/2 hp motor would give you enough power to run a 6-7 inch dia disk.
Converting a 3450 RPM to synchro would allow you to run 2 electrodes on the
rotor (same as number of flats) and a 1725 converted to 1800 RPM would
require 4 electrodes on the rotor disk.  This procedure allows firing at
120 times per second and usually gives a very powerful current into the
primary inductor, hence, a nice output from medium size coils.  This work
can be done with a file, but a local machine shop will produce a much
better job if your budget can handle it.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net