[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "The Mighty Corona Cone" (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 15:46:03 -0600
From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: "The Mighty Corona Cone" (fwd)

Steve:

Sounds like you've made some nice project with this coil.  The debugging is
always fun, especially with everyone one the list able to offer suggestions
and tips from past experiences.  Thanks for explaining the details of your
current circuit, that makes it easier to offer advice.  One thing you might
want to review is the load that the .018 mfd cap is placing on your 30 ma
transformer.  I believe this is too large of a capacitance for this size
transformer.  Your secondary is really begging for more power, I'd go on a
serious hunt for more transformers to parallel in your system.

If I understood correctly you have used a vertically wound primary that is
traveling up the length of the secondary.  Most of the Tesla systems built
by list members have used either perfectly flat primaries or in lower power
systems wound with about a 30 degree angle from the flat.  This is basically
the by-product of flames, arcs and failures that led to the successful use
of the primary type I just mentioned.  If you decide to try the full 15,000
volt capability of your transformer, the circuit below is one that has been
proven successful by many and I believe it is still available for
downloading along with many others from either Chip's Web site or the ftp
site--I haven't looked for awhile, so that's a guess.

  TESLA COIL SCHEMATIC                             ---------

|       | T1

  ---------

         X1                                      C1
                                                     | |
O  L2
              O-----------------------------| |-------                  O
    -----O||O            * SG           *              |--->O         O
          O||O----------*---|Gnd      G1                 O         O
    -----O||O            *                  *                     O
   120   ||O            |                   |                      O
   Volts ||O            |                   |                      O
           O----------------------------------------------O         O

                                                        Gnd

       X1 = Neon Sign Transformer, grounded center tap
       SG = Safety Gap.
       G1 = Main system (tank circuit) Spark Gap.
       C1 = Tank circuit capacitor
       L1 = Primary Coil.
       L2 = Secondary Coil.
       T1 = Toroid discharge terminal
      Gnd = RF Ground.

I am never sure if a keyboard created drawing will end up distorted in
another's computer, so try looking at either http://www.pupman-dot-com or
ftp://nic,funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla.  You will find a wealth of
photographs and information that will be very helpful as your coil work gets
further along.  If you did your initial setup and then tuned your coil close
to other objects, you may have a mismatch in the primary secondary tune.
Another item to check out as you go further.  I would cut the capacitance
back to about .004 mfd for this 30 ma transformer.  That does create a
problem with matching with your high inductance secondary.  Unless you can
get allot more power, you should also consider going with a smaller
secondary coil that will resonate at a point where your power available can
handle the correct cap.  A 6" x 24" secondary would be a better match for
your transformer.  Good Luck with your design

Chuck