[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Poor Form? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 16:16:07 -0600
From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Poor Form? (fwd)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Saturday, February 14, 1998 2:46 PM

Richard, All:

Just as a tip for anyone looking for a source for a polyethylene storage
drum.  I was able to obtain 7 drums made of high density polyethylene from
by brother in-law, who manages a prison laundry (He is not a prisoner!).
These containers held a liquid detergent and are perfect cylinders 22.75" in
diameter by about 33" tall.  These are 55 gallon drums and 32 gallon were
also apparently available, but I didn't get any measurements from these.  I
would guess as many of us scrounge at neon sign shops for transformers, a
stop at a hospital (or prison) laundry may also provide for some great
materials.

These HDPE drums can not be glued in any manner that I am aware of.  The top
and bottom lids are inertia welded into place and I found that they can be
"WELDED" together by using a 200 watt soldering iron.  After carefully
aligning the drums, I simply dropped the big soldering iron through the drum
bung hole, mounted on a long stick and melted the bottom of one to the top
of the other, using 16-18 joints.  I then wacked the heck out of the
assembly and nothing even came close to failing.  The assembly basically
ends up with internal stiffening from the drum lids.  The lids do have to be
trimmed and the joint filled in.  I trimmed mine with no trouble, but I
won't be doing the "body work" until it warms up around here.  The wall
thickness is about 5/16" on these units, in case anyone is wondering about
that point.  I'll be posting more on this attempt later this spring.  The
moral here is not to go to prison or the Hospital for Tesla materials, but
some handy materials are available out there if you keep looking for them.
That old saying about not what they are, but what they can be----

Chuck