[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skin effect and aluminum question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 08:40:53 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Skin effect and aluminum question (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Chip,

As long as the overall thicknes of the aluminum is much greater than the
skin depth, the presence of a thin oxide layer has NO impact on skin
effect/skin depth. The resistivity of alloyed aluminum wire is about
1.8X that of copper, and the resulting skin depth will be about 1.3X
that of copper at equivalent frequencies. You can use aluminum tubing in
your tank circuit with relatively little effect, since the overall Q of
the primary circuit will still be dominated by the gap. You could also
use aluminum wire in the secondary if you've got no other choice, but it
will approximately halve the secondary's non-breakout Q - so for best
performance use copper wire in the secondary.

Safe coilin' to you, Chip!

-- Bert --