[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

"The Mighty Corona Cone" (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 10:43:25 -0500 (EST)
From: SBJohnston-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: "The Mighty Corona Cone"

Thanks to Bert, John, and Jim for the suggestions for a much bigger top
the various TC-oriented websites, and of course, on the supplies I could find
in the local stores!  The garage is seriously overloaded with hobby stuff
already, so it may be difficult to put a larger toroid on the coil and still
be able to position it away from nearby objects.  I'll have to move it
outside and attach a larger toroid.

Then, Greg wrote:

>Try lowering it so that the bottom lip of the toroid slightly
>overlaps the top turn of your secondary.  This is easy if the
>inside diameter of your toroid is at least as big as the O.D. of
>your secondary.  Any turns "shaded" like this by the toroid
>should stop making corona.

That was my "intuitive" notion, but the hours of reading I've done led me in
the other direction, higher and farther away from the top of the secondary.
 I can put a shorter ceramic insulator on which will nestle the toroid down
and around the   top of the seconday.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston-at-aol-dot-com