[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: AC coil resistance equation

From: "bmack" <bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net>

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: AC coil resistance equation
> Date: Thursday, August 27, 1998 9:46 PM
>

> From: "James" <elgersmad-at-email.msn-dot-com>
> "JAMES" wrote:
>" I thought the AC resistance equation for coils was 2 pi freq(in Hertz)
H(in
> Henrys)."
>
> James:

You have the equation for inductive reactance, Not the resistance!
They are very different. I don't know how to explain it without going
into a long disertation that may only confuse you.
Resistance and reactance combined is called impedance.
Impedance is the pathagrean sum of the two.

Z=sqrt(R^2+X^2)

Z= impedance
R=resistance
X=reactance

Unloaded Q, Qu=X/Rac  -This determines the Quality factor of the coil.
Energy is lost via heat due to the Rac ( real, resistive part).

An impedance also will cause a phase shift between E and I

But then there's conjugates and resonance ....etc.

Like I said, it can get involved.  I suggest you curl up with a
basic electronics book to fill in the blanks. Then we can help
take the rough edges off the experience

Jim McVey