[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sparks for cheap

----------
From:  Terry Perdue [SMTP:terryp-at-halcyon-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, August 20, 1998 9:15 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: sparks for cheap

Greg -

>Did you isolate the HV leads from the cores on your "outboard" xfmrs, or
run them "as is".  I have an identical pair of 900w MOTs that >generate
2250vac each.  I'd like to wire up 4 of them for 9kv.  On my xfmrs, one HV
lead is connected to the core, and the other ends at a >ceramic insulated
spade terminal.  I'm wondering if I should clip the HV lead loose from the
core of the "outboard" units and insulate them >before wiring them in
series.  Otherwise, the 2250vac output of the "inboard" units would be tied
directly to the cores of the "outboard" >units--a very odd arrangement.  Any
advice?

The MOTs with one secondary lead grounded may very likely have minimal
insulation between this lead and and the core. Therefore, merely isolating
it from ground will not safely isolate it from the core. Even if the core is
allowed to float, there could be breakdown between the secondary and
primary, since the insulation between this lead and the primary normally
only needs to hold off 120 VAC. So, I'd recommend against isolating the
grounded lead and series connecting these transformers.

Terry Perdue