[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sparks for cheap

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, August 20, 1998 6:37 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: sparks for cheap

<< John,

> Did you isolate the HV leads from the cores on your "outboard" xfmrs, or run
them >"as is".  I have an identical pair of 900w MOTs that generate 2250vac
each.  I'd like >to wire up 4 of them for 9kv.  On my xfmrs, one HV lead is
connected to the core, >and the other ends at a ceramic insulated spade
terminal.  I'm wondering if I should >clip the HV lead loose from the core of
the "outboard" units and insulate them >before wiring them in series.
Otherwise, the 2250vac output of the "inboard" units >would be tied directly
to the cores of the "outboard" units--a very odd arrangement.  >Any advice?

> Greg

Greg,

I left the HV wire connected to the core.  In a previous test, I used a
transformer that did not have the wire connected to the core...and it arced
internally, so i figured maybe connected to core is better (although I don't
see why this should be...may have just been a fluke).  Yes, it was an odd
set-up...with the outboard cores hot, but I put the transformers inside a
wooden box for insulation purposes   :)

John Freau