[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Jagon? and Pancake Secondary?

----------
From:  Tesla List [SMTP:tesla-at-stic-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 19, 1998 12:11 AM
To:  'Tesla List'
Subject:  FW: Tesla Jagon? and Pancake Secondary?

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 10:50 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Tesla Jagon? and Pancake Secondary?

Hi Steven,

        You will get many replies, but here's mine!

At 02:49 PM 8/18/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey all you coilers out there. I am new to this list and this is my
>first post so I hope I am not breaching any etiquette posting this
>letter this way.

No probelm there.

>My first question has to do with all the acronymns
>and Tesla coil jargon in most of your posts. I don't follow a lot of
>what you guys are talking about. I am fairly familiar with all the
>normal electrical engineering terms but some of the high power
>transformer terms and spark gap lingo are new to me. Is there a FAQ
>somewhere where a lot of this stuff is covered? Examples of what I am
>talking about are the acronymns NST and RSG and God knows what else.

We occasionally need to list these.  Many people don't know some but never
ask, so here they are:

NST = Neon Sign Transformer

RSG = Rotary Spark Gap

MOT = Microwave Oven Transformer

OBIT = Oil Burner Ignition Transformer

RQ gap = Richard Quick spark gap (A very popular design by Richard Quick -
www.pupman-dot-com)

TF gap = An experimental multi-gap design (by the slightly immodest Terry
Fritz) with 60 very small (4 mil) spaced gaps and easily adjustable firing
voltage.  Extremely good quenching and easy to make but rather low power.
Started lots of questions and experiments :-))

Static Gap = A gap with no moving parts.

Rotary Gap = A gap with the poles mounted on a spinning rotor.

Muli-Gap = A gap with many small gaps in series.

PT = Potential Transformer (used to measure power line voltages)

Pig, Pole pig, etc. =Power Pole transformer used to convert 14,400 to 220
vac (typically) for residential use.

BTW = By The Way :-)

SG = Static Gap

Streamer = A long secondary arc.

Breakout = The voltage point or level where arcs start to appear on the
secondary terminal.

Quench = The point at which the spark gap stops conducting.

SW cap = Salt water cap

1st or 2nd or 3rd or... notch quenching. = When the gap conducts, the energy
is transfered from the primary system to the secondary system.  If the gap
continues to conduct, the energy in the secondary system will be returned to
the primary system and this cycle will continue back and forth until the gap
either quenches or the system runs down due to losses.  If the gap quenches
after the first energy transfere, it is first notch quenching.  If it takes
two complete transfers, it is second notch quenching.  Three transfers is
third notch quenching.  After that, it is usually considered as "no
quenching" or "fails to quench".  I think we want first notch quenching
since there is minimal chance for energy to be lost in the gap and primary
resistances and maximum energy is traped in the secondary.  Many back and
forth energy transfers allow very high losses without producing good output
arcs.  There is some disagreement on this however.

Scope, to scope, scoped = Look at "something" with an oscilloscope.

Others I can't remember right off.

There are a number of FAQs around but others will remember where they are
faster than I.

>I would really benefit greatly from the schematics or written
>descriptions of the common variations on the basic T.C. topology which
>I am pretty familiar with. That is any circuit other than the normal
>(Power supply, parallel cap, series spark gap, parallel primary  ,
>coupling coef. K, secondary with distributed and lumped terminal
>capacitances in series). Also a useful SPICE model of some of these
>circuits would be really nice.

I keep my TC (Tesla Coil :-)) schematic from hell at:

www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/schem.jpg

This is a MicroSim schematic that should have all the values and such.  It
is the most detailed and accurate spice model I have seen.  It predicts my
full system very well.  It is unusual in that it models the primary charging
system and has varible spark gap timing which is very useful in these days
of "number of gap" experimentation.  I can send you (or anyone else) the
MicroSim 8.0 model on request.

Gary Lau is also very advanced in TC simulations and he can tell you more
than I can.

>Also does has anyone seen or made a T.C. with both a pancake primary
>and a pancake secondary? I think it would look really neat and it
>should be easy to adjust the coupling coefficient by either changing
>the distance between the primary and secondary pancakes or by
>adjusting the angle between them or even by inserting or removing a
>piece of dielectric between them? This last method might also work to
>adjust he coupling in a standard shaped T.C. if a dielectric cylinder
>was raised and lowered into the gap between primary and secondary.

Tesla himself used such a design (his original patents show this design) but
the primary voltage was too high to contain easily.  Thus, he went to the
cylindrical coil.  The two coil system has many references in early radio
work for tuning.

>Feedback please :)
>
>Thanks: adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com

Welcome to the list!

        Terry Fritz