[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power factor correction for NST

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, September 12, 1997 8:43 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Power factor correction for NST

<<
 Rusty,
 I have seen suggestions ranging from 1 mfd per ma all the way to 3
 mfd per ma. Gary Weaver did an experiment some months ago and posted
 the results. I am appending a copy of his post. He found that 150 mfd
 worked well for 90 ma. This comes out to 1.66 mfd per ma. For the 60
 ma transformer you have that comes to 100 mfd. The caps must be rated
 for AC use, and I would recommend a 600 VAC value for safety.

 Why not get three 50 mfd and then you can try both 100 and 150 mfd?

 Hope this helps.
 Fr. Tom McGahee

Rusty,

Another answer to your question.  Adding power factor correction caps will
not affect the performance of the system at all.  It will only reduce the
amount of power consumed by the transformer - which is good if you are trying
to operate several transformers in parallel on a small variac.

Ed Sonderman