[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Testing

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, September 12, 1997 8:44 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: New Testing

<<
 Hi Ed:
 	I believe my 8" x 28" secondary system and your present unit might be
 very similar, so if it helps, I'll list how my system is set for
 comparison:

 1.) 7 stationary vacuum gaps set at .025" and two rotary gaps at .025"
 for a total of .225".  Gaps start to fire at about 60-70%  on the
 pwerstat dial  -- this setup has worked very well on both my coils.

 2.)  Welder has a parallel resistance of 13 ohms, in the form of two
 2200 watt stove top elements.

This is how mine used to run best.  Now it seems that any parallel resistance
with the welder causes the gaps to fire erratically which is a mystery to me.

 3.)  Primary current with no arcing on my 10 KVA pig is higher, if my
 memory works tonight it might have been around 16-18 amps.

 4.)  My thoughts as I read your description jumped around a bit-- is
 your pig really healthy? Might you verify it's output with a voltage
 divider or a smaller input voltage.  How was tune verified  I have set
 up my latest coil by checking resonance on the secondary and then
 setting the primary to a point 5% lower for a rough tune starting point,
 simply trying to stay aware of what the toroid will do to the secondary
 resonace while running.

I believe the pig is healthy.  Last time I was having cap problems, I set up
a jacobs ladder on the pig and it looked strong.

 5.)  I've never tried running with a couple of bigger gaps like you
 described, I've always stuck with .025"--as long as the total is in the
 ball park (.225") I would guess it should still arc.

I will try removing the static gap.

 6.)  I use a circuit where the pig output feeds directly to the spark
 gap and then the cap and the primary inductance in series, are in
 parallel with the gap, pretty standard configuration.  How is your
 presently setup?

Same as yours.  Spark gap is directly across the HV mains.

 		Not much to chew on here, but I hope some of the comparisons might be
 of assistance--hope you find the bug.  Sounds like a great ground
 system.

 Chuck Curran

Thanks Chuck for your comments,  Ed Sonderman