[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Power factor correction for NST

From: 	LINEMAN23K-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:LINEMAN23K-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 11, 1997 12:35 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Power factor correction for NST

All,

I tried to post on this subject but the mail must have gotten lost so I will
try again.
What size PFC cap should be used on a 15KV-at-60mA NST?  Also, how do you
calculate this?

It seems to me that at 900VA output there would be 900VA input to the NST
(probably more input, assuming losses of the transformer).  From my
calculations, ignoring losses, I come up with 7.5A input and Zpri = 16ohms.
 Using the equation
C = 1/(2*pi*F*Z) I get 166uF.

This seems like too large a value for the PFC cap.  If so, where is my logic
flawed?  How much of an improvement to the system can I expect with the PFC
cap in place?

All comments will be appreciated

Rusty Duncan