[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: An Interesting Problem

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: An Interesting Problem

<< It didn't have any particular preference for which side of the toroid
> it threw sparks from. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
> How can ions floating around the toroid affect gap behaviour like
> this?

> Malcolm

Malcolm,
If I understand your original observation, your gap kept firing steady,
but the toroid sparked intermittently, let me know if I'm wrong.  I've
noted on certain coils that at a certain power level, the spark
breakout alternates from side to side of the toroid.  The spark grows
out from one side, then shrinks, then grows out from the other side,
then shrinks, and so on.  I figure this has something to do with
ions around the toroid, and I thought something similar may be
happening with your system.  I don't mean that the toroid ions
would directly affect the gap, but indirectly by stopping/causing
toroid breakout which would affect the amount of energy reflected
back to the gap.  What was the gap behaviour again, brightening
during non-breakout times?

John Freau