[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100

-- BEGIN included message

Fellow Coilers,
Yes, 10KV RMS -at- 300ma for less than $100 delivered in the USA.

I have run across a transformer that is just about perfect for Tesla Coil
work, and I want to let you all in on it.

Herbach and Rademan have 100 of these transformers in stock. They are rated
at 5,000 volts RMS, 300 ma continuous duty. These are *open-frame*
transformers, absolutely NO tar or anything else to give you problems. Mine
came with power factor correction capacitors included.

There are current shunts installed... which is actually a *plus*, because
it means you do not need any reactance added to the primary! If you insist
on removing the shunts, it is very easy to do so, since it is all open
frame construction!

The secondary is entirely isolated from the core!

I bought two of these and wired the  primaries in anti-parallel. This makes
the phase of the two secondaries *opposite*. That allows me to take the
inner wires of each secondary and wire them together so that the two
*outer* wires of the secondaries are oppositely phased. In other words, the
total series output is now 10,000 volts AC RMS (14KV Peak!) at 300 ma. If
desired, the inner wires of the secondaries can be connected to AC ground,
so that the electrical stresses are reduced. But if you want to, you can
also leave them floating. Both ways work.

By two for $39.50 each, throw in about $15 for shipping, and you are under
$100 for an almost perfect 10KV RMS 300ma *open frame* NO TAR transformer
for your Tesla coil.

The really daring among you can figure out other combinations of these
transformers, I am sure.

Part Number TM92XFR2019  5KV 300ma Transformer  $39.50 each

Herbach and Rademan
18 Canal St.
P.O. Box 122
Bristol, PA  19007-0122

Orders 1-800-848-8001
Fax 215-788-9577
Business hours Mon-Fri 8 am - 5pm EST

Ask to be placed on their mailing list!

Hope that this is something useful for all of you. This is not exactly a
pole pig, but two of these will deliver 3,000 VA at continuous duty. Not
bad!

Fr. Tom McGahee

-- END included message