[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unzip Z Files

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> I am trying to do some rummaging through the files at the
> ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/
> ftp site, but many of them are in a <Z> format instead of the Zip format. I
> am running Windows 95. How do I manage to read these files?

Two easy methods:

If you use ftp just type the filename excluding the .Z extension - this
way ftp software will uncompress the file to you. Like this "get rqmsgs"
instead of "get rqmsgs.Z" where rqmsgs is the file to be downloaded.

Another method is to download/get the .Z file and use either gzip or
winzip to extract the files. Winzip is widely available and it's more
"user-friendly" :) Use "gzip -d file.Z" with gzip.

> Also, someone mentioned archived files from this Tesla list. I got the

../tesla/maillist/misc/*

RTFM!! 00README lists this directory..

> As we speak, I'm downloading (really mailing) most of the mail archives
> to Kristian Ukkonen.  They are split up into about 35 files so that you
> don't have to download the entire 26M at once.  I'm putting together an
> index by date for the files. -- Chip]

These will soon be available.

  Kristian Ukkonen.
  tesla-admin of nic.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |