[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Explanation of the positive E.S. charge

At 11:17 PM 1/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: music-at-triumf.ca Tue Jan 28 23:00:50 1997
>Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 12:00:47 PST
>From: "Fred W. Bach, TRIUMF Operations" <music-at-triumf.ca>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Cc: music-at-triumf.ca
>Subject: RE: Explanation of the positive E.S. charge

big snip

>>"Theory of Gaseous Conduction and Electronics" by Maxfield and Benedict, Mc
>>Graw Hill, 1941
>>
>>Specifically, chapters 7-12.  This is superb reference and I rate it up
>>there with "Pulse Generators" in the MIT radiation laboratory series!
>>
>>Both of the above books are in my library now.
>>
>>Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
>   Thanks for that, Richard.
>
>   In other words, as I mentioned to someone (possibly the whole list)
>   the electrons leave the area and leave the positive ions behind.
>   You collect negative charge while the coil is running but afterward
>   the objects pick up positive charge.  Naturally.

Whoa!!  Here is what is consistantly recorded with Keithley electrometers
and or electroscopes:

AT NO TIME,...EVER,... BEFORE, DURING, OR AFTER, FIRING OF THE TESLA COIL IS
ANY COULOMBIC CHARGE COLLECTED ON A SURFACE WHICH IS NEGATIVE!!!!!

No artifice performed upon the normal Tesla coil circuitry can yield a
negative charge collection process on a remote isolated capacity!

Only positive coulombic charge is collected at any range outside of the
sparking circle at any time.

All of the above stated is for fully air-discharging, spark gap excited
Tesla coils, only!!  R. Hull

>  snip
>
>   My laser engineer didn't have the info on the ion lifetimes in air.
>   In **air** is the problem.   Does that book give the ion lifetimes
>   in air for the various species like O+ O2+  N+ N2+  etc.?

The lifetimes are on the order of 10^-3 to 1 second depending on energies
from spark discharge and field strengths.  Velocities can be as high as 10^5
m/sec in huge or heavy discharges.  It is only a guess what the velocities
are in a Tesla coil where 100,000 volt levels are rather common for even
medium small systems.  I tend to think the velocities about a coil might be
100 meters/second or less.  From a 30 watt RMS coil (40 KW peak energies) I
see rapid attenuation of charge collection beyond 10 feet and near
undisturbed background levels at 100 feet.  Larger systems with higher
impulse levels have not been investigated.

R. Hull, TCBOR

  Also the