[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Voltage multiplier ?

        At 12:25 PM 11/25/96 -0700, you wrote:
>From Hans.Grimstad-at-maxware.noMon Nov 25 11:01:22 1996
>Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:33:02 +0100
>From: Hans.Grimstad-at-maxware.no
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Voltage multiplier ?
>
>Hi !
>
>I built my first coil this summer. It's a small coil with homemade glass
capacitors (Frutopia
>bottles (600 pF each). The power supply is an old ignition transformer
powered from a
>variac.
>
>Problem #1: No spark....  I can light fluorescent tubes with it at a
distance of up to 40-50 cm,
>but that's it. This is obviously not much fun. It is possible to draw a
spark for the coil with a
>grounded rod, but it is not very impressive. 8(
>
>Problem #2: Used neons are hard to come by where I live (Norway). They are
*VERY*
>expensive. A neon rated at 4000V/45ma is 800 NOK (that's more than $120).
>

>OK. Here's the (possibly very stupid) question:
>
>Is it feasible use a Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier instead of a neon
transformer as a
>power source for a small TC  ? If I were to step up the voltage from the
mains (220 V) to 10000
>V, I would need 90 diodes and 90 (very large ?) capacitors. It would be
easier to build
>something like this, than to  wind my own HV transformer.
>Has anyone experimented with something like this ?
>

>Hans J|rgen Grimstad
>Norway
>
>Dear Hans;

I still have 4)  10KV/22 mA furnace transformers lefts; possibly a Neon if I
dig deep enough.  If you decide to abandon your  Cockraft-Walton project,
please let me know and I'll let you have a working Xfrmr for, say, $10
American, shippihg extra.

Dan Smith
  (Dan Smith ,nhide-at-enterprise.dts.harris-dot-com>)