[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rebuilding a neon

Mike,

The rivets just hold the laminations together.  Your best bet would be to
put the core in the sun on your roof, or somewhere where it gets really
hot that isn't your kitchen oven (unless you're single without roommates
:-))  Then you have to punch/pound the bar that the windings are on
sideways.  When I took my Jefferson Electric neon apart, I didn't know
what was going on, so I used a cold chisel and split one of the
secondaries.  Bad Idea.  I had to rewind the thing, which was a fun
exercize, but not worth repeating.  The shunts are the parts of the core
that go between the primary winding and the secondary windings.
(See my modification to your drawing)

Chip