[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3/4 wavelength error

Tesla List wrote:

> >From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comFri Aug  2 23:05:25 1996
> Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 15:07:46 GMT
> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 3/4 wavelength error
>
> >From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: 3/4 wavelength error
> >

> >Jim
> >
> >Yeah, I know, I'm strange. I run 1kw to 2 kw using a synchronous break. I
> >only get 4.5' discharges, but I'm, working on it. My primaries are only
> >about 4 turns too. Also it takes much less energy to wind a 240 turn
> >secondary. If I can do away with the toroid, I also won't have to build
> >any more donuts either. Maybe I can go into production with a real
> >cheapie TC.
> >
> Skip,
>         I knew that you were using a sync break and getting very good
> length discharges. I did not realize you were using such a short
> length secondary and primary. What value is your primary cap? 0.02uF?
>
>         you've perked my interest.
>
>         jim

Depending on the drive transformer which I happen to be using, I have been most
successful in using a cap that is matched to the transformer using the classical
formula. When using a 15kv 120 ma unit, I use a .021 mfd. My best input power to
discharge ratio has been when using a 720 va transformer which produces 48" discharges.
I cannot figure out why I have been unable substantially increase the discharges when
going to higher power.

Skip