[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: First coil - need some help [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: First coil - need some help

Hi Joshua,

I'd like to chime in on a couple of points raised in this thread.

If you wanted your MMC cap to run 24/7, year after year, you would want to
use the AC voltage rating of the cap to exceed the peak voltage of your
NST.  But none of us on this List expect to use our coils anywhere near so
long.  Among hobbyists, it is common practice to set the MMC DC voltage
rating to the peak voltage of the NST.  CD caps are extremely durable and
their failure mode is such that the capacitance just slowly diminishes.
Catastrophic failures are uncommon unless the array is grossly under-rated
or are poorly constructed.  DC-rated MMC's are FAR more economical.

I've never heard that bleeder resistors degrade the Q of anything.  The
resistance of the bleeders are many, many orders of magnitude higher than
the reactance of the caps at Fo.

I once tried to experimentally select the best primary tap by dragging the
primary tap cable across the primary turns.  The arc from the cable to the
primary was loud and fearsome and I quickly powered down and abandoned that
plan. I picked up the tap cable to attach it to the primary and
ZAPPPPP!!!!  I received a significant shock.  Normally the primary coil
provides a DC path to discharge the cap through the NST secondary, but with
the primary disconnected, there is no discharge path.  I'm a BIG proponent
of bleeder resistors!

Primary tap selection is rarely super critical, you should get some output
even several taps away from the optimum point.  Is the arc in the gap loud,
bright, and steady, or just buzzing and blue?

For setting the spark gap width (both main and safety), this must be done
experimentally, with the primary tap disconnected.  You want the spark gap
to *just* fire when the Variac is at maximum.  Don't do it with the cap and
primary connected because mains resonant rise is at play, and voltage can
easily ring up to many tens of KV if the gap allows it.  You want the gap
to fire at 12KV*1.414 V.  There is no rule of thumb for total gap distance.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA