[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Pratical measurement of voltages and current on TCs [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Pratical measurement of voltages and current on TCs

Hi,

Keep it simple always wins.

Use an iron vane ammeter to measure secondary current from the
transformer. Keep the meter (all parts) isolated off ground and you're
golden. 0-50ma full scale should be fine. Measuring off one leg is
sufficient. Unless you burn out one leg, the current will be the same.
Such meters don't need a rectifier, are rugged and not terribly expensive,
new or used.

I use a 40kV flyback tester probe for measuring NST-like voltages. I have
a probe that's AC rated and a suitable meter with 10M input impedance.
Most meters and DMMs are not 10M in the AC ranges, so you'll read
dangerously low voltages. you might rig up some sort of divider string,
but who knows how safe or accurate that will be. I steer towards
commercial products for measuring voltages like that as was I want to
really know what I'm dealing with vs. guess with a homemade resistor
string with a flakey solder joint.

There's no need to overcomplicate stuff with fantasy electrostatic
voltmeters. I have no idea how anybody even pretends to calibrate such
things. I have DC power supplies rated to 50kV and have been to facilities
with 250kV test cages and nobody uses electrotrostatic volt meters, even
for DC. Trying to measure transient AC RF voltages? Yeah right. Just lie
like anybody else and says it's a 500,000 or a million volts.

For the secondary all you need need to know is the secondary current to
ground. Low value shunt resistors between ground and the bottom of the
secondary is all it takes . Measure the low relative voltages from there.
It's not going to explode your scope or meter unless you try goofy stuff
like having multiple grounds for no reason. If you know the current and
frequency and inductance of the secondary you're all set. You'll want to
hookup a scope here to look at waveforms and peak currents. The oldest,
crustiest scope will work fine for this, although the cursors and math on
digital scopes are helpful.

You can always make things fancier, later if it's really needed.