[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Pratical measurement of voltages and current on TCs [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Pratical measurement of voltages and current on TCs

Hi Joshua,
A home made resistor voltage divider is not practical, stray capacitance will dominate at ac, so it will be grossly inaccurate. The cheapest HV diff probe that I know of is the Caltec ct4079, but it is still a big investment.

In the case of a pig driven coil, the primary of the pig tracks the secondary voltage very closely and can be measured with a much cheaper HV diff probe, like the Micsig DP10013. But as the ballast is a part of a NST, this method is not feasible for a NST coil.

Current can easily be measured by a current transformer. You can make these yourself using a toroidal ferrite core with a winding, and loading the winding with a resistor. Frequency linearity can be tested with an audio amplifiera loaded with a resistor, fed by a signal generator.

I have some measurements on my web site https://www.sthlmteslacoil.se/measurements.html

You can find information about making you own current transformer on the web. But selet the core for the frequency range, and dont forget to load the winding with a low value resistor.

But voltage measurement is not possible without an expensive HV diff probe. Another NST backwards would be theoretically possible, but I think all the extra inductance would change everything to the extent that it would be meaningless.

Regards,
Jan

Skickat från min iPad