From: "Dan Kunkel" <dankunkel@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 8:58:03 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] MMC's

Adam,
Here is my experience and opinion. As far as the Information Unlimited
capacitor, I have not heard any reviews or info from others on these caps,
so I do not know their quality. However, one word of warning, the cap you
posted seems to have a marginal voltage rating of 20KVAC. It might be OK,
just depends on your supply transformer, spark gap and safety gap set up.
Also keep in mind that a pulse rated cap has a determined number of "shots"
before it is expected to die (keep that in mind when you plunk your money
down for a TC cap).

Now to your question, there several nice advantages to an MMC over a
traditional capacitor:

1) They are reconfigurable. I bought 100 caps from a list buy back in 1999
or 2000. Over the years and many coils and configurations, they have served
me well. It is also nice to be able to add or remove a leg on an MMC to see
how the performance changes, you'd be surprised. Obviously with a
commercial cap you stuck with the voltage or capacitance rating.
2) They are tough! The di-electric is self healing, so they survive the
rigors on TC use with ease. A lot of Tesla Coilers can get away with using
them at their rated voltage (or even over-volt them) and they just keep
working. Each time a hole is punched through the capacitance is reduced
(just a little bit), but that is certainly better than a dead capacitor!
3) If a cap dies, you can simply swap in a new cap.  So if using a large
single capacitor usually is going to cost a lot more, is less durable, and
if it dies, there is no way to bring it back to life.

The disadvantages:

1) The small leads pose a high impedance
2) They can take up a lot more space

Other info:

1) MMC's were born during a time when they were cheaper than
commercially produced pulse rated capacitors (and performed just as good).
So if cost is a factor, you would have to calculate which MMC array and
capacitor combo and compare.

2) Looks? Maybe that is subjective though...having a lot of neat rows of
arranged capacitors and bleeder resistors can look technical and complex to
the layperson, but a large single capacitor yields a more clean looking set
up.

Good luck with your build!
~Dan
Kansas City area (USA)