[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] 833C versus 833A vacuum tube [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] 833C versus 833A vacuum tube

On 2/10/20 8:35 AM, Steve White wrote:
My VTTC currently uses an Amperex 833A tube. As most of you know, you have to be careful of the power level when running in CW mode (non-interrupter). When in CW mode you have to pay careful attention to the plate color. If it gets too hot it will melt. Because of this I can't operate my VTTC at full power in CW mode, only in interrupter (staccato) mode.

I have been considering replacing the 833A with a 833C. My understanding is that the graphite plate of the 833C will allow me to operate it at a higher power level in CW mode. I have never used a 833C. My understanding is that the graphite plate never changes color regardless of power level. My concern is that I will no longer have that visual feedback to know if I am over-powering the plate. I wouldn't want to accidentally destroy an expensive 833C.

Does anyone have any experience using a 833C in this application? Do I need to worry about the plate temperature?

https://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2006/Mar/msg00613.html

Runs his 833C plates to *orange*

and a discussion on graphite 3-500Zs

https://www.eham.net/forum/view?id=topic=114351.0