[Home][2020 Index] [TCML] Quantum enhanced itty bitty transisstors [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Quantum enhanced itty bitty transisstors

Hello Tesla builders,

Here is a design overview for critique... maybe experience in the TC list will save me a buck or two. Comment on design overview for me please. . .

The design is intended to drive a dipole loop in two halves such that it oscillates beginning at the 2nd harmonic (typically --but this case is a non-harmonic experiment).

I want to buy the new eGaN transistors for a try-out.  They are nearly an ideal transistor, with tremendous slew rates. (About 12 volt skew per nanosecond.)  They conduct hundreds of amps in short bursts, up to 200 Volts.  They do not suffer from thermal-runaway, because they conduct less when warm. This allows them to be ganged with no runaway protection needed.

Can anyone share any experience with eGaN transistors? Did someone drive a football coil with these, I think David Thompson shared.

A random ring amp pushed into more randomness with half-switching... is the goal.

I plan on using a very small breakout board, and soldering the eGaN surface-mount passivated-die transistor on the breakout board and that soldered directly to a copper dipole resonator, then bury the transistor and breakout board under thermal epoxy, so the copper resonator element becomes also the heat sink.

Mounting directly on the resonator is to reduce impedance for maximum delta-B possible.  Each semicircle loop of the resonator is driven separately, so the loop is two independently switched halves.

The two halves are switched in a flip-flop circuit.  This circuit will connect with two more flip-flop-driven semicircle pairs to create a 3-phase ring amplifier of power-flip-flops flipping 'n' flopping very randomly.

The cross-over 'X' of the common flip-flop schematic in the circuit is occupied by the pair of semicircular loop-halves.

The device is a study in the random profile of the inherently random ring oscillator gone wild.

I read in recent research on randomly driving transformers that more wattage can be put through a random pulse drive into a coil, than would this coil accept if it is pushed into harmonic operation.

What I hope is that there will not be a standing voltage accumulate as do resonant coils, helping the RF interference stay low <--- I assume!  Comments???

BTW: the transistors are mounted on the semicircles at the ends, so they operate near what would be a resonant node of the 2nd harmonic.  Testing will validate the design.

Any suggestions before I burn through some money?

Thank you for sharing your hard-earned know-hows.

Don

Ref: eGaN-s by EPC - https://epc-co.com/epc/FAQ/eGaNTechnology.aspx <https://epc-co.com/epc/FAQ/eGaNTechnology.aspx>

Quicky: The quantum-enhanced gallium nitride transistor is an FET.  It is enhanced by a crystal layer over the FET gate layer. The added layer is a dissimilar crystal.  Electrons hang out at the discontinuities of the crystal junction --which is the FET gate.  Therefore, population time of the gate region is non--existent, because the gate is already populated by electrons at the discontinuities.  This transistor was conceived by a post-grad student in 2010.  Early packaged devices sold to military budgets around 250 USD per package.  Passivated die transistors with solder-bumps ready for reflow-soldering (with hot air) onto the tiniest circuit landing pads used in the industry. The passivated-die transistors are five or ten bucks each.  The power conversion efficiencies have been pushed to 99% with these near perfect transistors.  Oh yeah... the on-resistance is around ten milliohms! And more or less on some models.

FYI:  This circuit will be tested for what I'm after only after I build some analysis circuitry to capture the variation in the edge jitter.  Each cycle period duration is captured as a 16-bit number, for post-measurement spreadsheet analysis or such.

--
Stay hydrated!