[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] More fun with wireless power [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] More fun with wireless power

The physics involved here, at least according to Nikola Tesla, are
different from the physics of radio transmission. I'm not defending world
wide power transmission with Greg's design, but I am defending Tesla's
understanding by saying that electric field transmission involves
longitudinal radiation in the electric field, as opposed to transverse
radiation in the electromagnetic field. The inverse square law does not
apply when resonance develops mainly in the electric field. This was a key
concept that Tesla designed his wireless transmission coils around, and
Tesla went to great lengths to make this concept clear.

Keep in mind that Tesla was physically transmitting power wirelessly at
Colorado Springs to the distance of miles, and not just tens of feet. But
that is not what this experiment is about.

This coil, as well built as it appears, is still not up to specs for long
distance wireless transmission, and yet, Greg has succeeded in building an
effective receiver for the bike motor. Like others, I hope he will share
details, but we cannot ignore the possibility that there may be patentable
information in his design, which he may want to hold to himself for now.

Unlike the usual hobbyist Tesla Coil that is purposefully detuned to
produce streamers, a proper wireless power transmitter must be perfectly
tuned for pure resonance so that there are no streamers; where most of the
energy is stored in the environment, and where over time, the environmental
stored energy will build up. This does appear to be the case with Greg's
design, as he didn't have instantaneous acceleration as soon as the
transmitter was turned on. It seemed like a gradual power buildup. It may
be that the metal building assisted in keeping the environmental power
buildup local.

If the transmitting coil is properly tuned, there will be no output
streamers at all, but there may be a glowing discharge around the top load.
I have somewhat succeeded at producing such a discharge in one of my
coils, although it was more like a full-space-purple-spray than a glow.
When I performed that particular experiment, it was within a room covered
with aluminum coated space blankets, and the discharge on the top load then
also had a gradual buildup.

In any case, Greg has inspired me to look again at my old coils to see if I
can replicate his work at least in principle.

David Thomson