[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Question

On 10/21/19 3:03 PM, yurtle_t via Tesla wrote:
Listservs are pretty rare. I also remember the Tesla Ring. A lot of people used to have and maintain websites, even before hot-streamer.com, which kinda sounds X rated. I figured for folks who couldn't code html, Facebook would be easier. I never really looked, but was just wondering if a big group of old timers went there. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------From: derstrom8--- via Tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Date: 10/21/19  2:16 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [TCML] Question My guess is that online forums, chat rooms, and/or Facebook groups have taken a lot of the interest away from the email lists. Chat rooms and Facebook tend to provide ultra-fast responses, and the instant-gratification-oriented society tends to lead people away from marginally slower emails.-----Original Message-----From: Yurtle Turtle via Tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>To: Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Mon, Oct 21, 2019 1:28 pmSubject: [TCML] QuestionI remember when it used to take an effort after work each day, to get through all of the TCML posts, and that was with mods rejecting things that were OT.Has interest in coiling really dropped off as much as the list has, or have folks found other places to "gather"?_______________________________________________Tesla mailing listTesla@tedward.pupman.comhttps://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla_______________________________________________Tesla mailing listTesla@tedward.pupman.comhttps://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla

Ack.. something happened to the formatting..

Anyway, yes, there was (is) the Tesla Ring and folks did build websites with info (for instance, Richie Burnett's is great for DC coils).

Today, one might build a site with blogspot or similar, but it *is* a lot of work. Facebook and Instagram are pretty fast to just throw some pictures up. For an interactive "what do I do next" they wouldn't be a bad way to do it, but neither is
a) archival
b) easily searchable

One thing that has been a perpetual problem is quickly drawing schematics and figures - Powerpoint isn't a good drafting tool. I used to use Visio in pre-Microsoft days and it's pretty fast, but still not as facile as I'd like. And there was always the issues of getting stuff into a form that is web compatible.

I don't know that the number of coilers has changed all that much - the easy DRSSTCs from China do make it easy to get started, although they are substantially more complex than a NST- static gap system. I would venture that the theoretical and practical knowledge of the average DRSSTC user is substantially different (and less, in some ways) than a NST coiler.

One interesting aspect is the whole "transformer" thing - back in the day (pre-Google), it was hard to find NSTs - there were tons of list messages about how and where to find them, how to resurrect/repair them, etc.

I think that google (or bing) has replaced some of the list traffic - you can google for Neon Sign Transformer and find someone willing to sell it to you mail order.