[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] PFC capacitor topology [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] PFC capacitor topology

Steve,

The benefit of capacitive VARs that “correct” the phase displacement caused by the inductive reactance is realized as current and voltage being more aligned and reduction in the current drawn from the mains in relationship to the true power. The reduction in current draw is ONLY realized ‘upstream’ of the PFC placement in the circuit and the higher amperage associated with phase displacement will still be present in all of the components ‘downstream’ from the PFC bank. Therefore, imho, the choice between the options you mention would be a matter of personal preference (and the current load that your downstream components could withstand) and either would result in a decrease in amperage drawn from the mains.

David

Sent from my iPhone