[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Testing a line filter [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Testing a line filter

On 2/27/19 8:51 AM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:
Hello list,

I recently exceeded the 20 amps of a commercial line filter. I don't think
I let the magic smoke out, but is there a way to verify it is still
working? I am thinking of just using a signal generator and oscilloscope to
see how much it is attenuating.

That would work - you could look up the spec sheet and see what it's supposed to be.

There's a "differential mode" attenuation (line to line) and a "common mode" attenuation spec. (line to ground)

If you overcurrented it, the most likely failure mode would be an open, from melting the wire in the series inductor.

A failure of the shunt capacitor would be from overvoltage.

The real challenge is the dynamic range of your measurement. If your signal generator puts out +10 dBm (that would be 0.707Vrms into 50 ohms), and the filter has 20dB of attenuation, you'd expect to see -10dBm into a 50 ohm load resistor. You're looking at measuring 70 mV rms on the scope..

Now, if you happen to have a little VNA sitting around, that makes life easier.

Thanks,
~Dan
Kansas City area