[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Coupling [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Coupling

Hi Doug,

I'm jealous of how easily you are able to adjust your coupling (and your
construction skills)!  Coupling should be reduced if racing sparks are
seen, but the advice beyond that is sparse.  There are these "magic"
coupling values that are alleged to provide superior performance because
they promote quenching on an integral number of RF cycles (see
https://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1999/August/msg00244.html), but I've
never heard of anyone demonstrating an observable performance correlation
to these values.  It's been a long time since this topic's been discussed.

It might help if you could make numerical spark measurements (challenging,
I know) vs. coupling adjustments, but what I think I see in your video is
that sparks are longest with maximum coupling and less-so (monotonically?)
with reduced coupling.  Is that the extent of your observations?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, UA