From: Steve White <steve.white1@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla Coil List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Feb 4, 2019 1:12 pm
Subject: [TCML] Muscial tesla coils a gimmick?

I will probably get a lot of responses telling me that I am stepping on their main interest and to each his own but here goes anyway. Are there others besides myself that think that musical tesla coils are a gimmick? It seems that Youtube is just flooded with these things. I have got to the point where I skip over them. I will admit that it was interesting to hear music played on a TC for a few times, but after that it got old very quickly. In my opinion, using these coils to play music subtracts from the inherent majesty of high voltage generation and discharge. The observers are too busy listening to the music instead of admiring the high voltage fury.  They might as well go home and listen to their stereo. Some might say that the only practical use for tesla coils is entertainment, and I would agree, so why not add music as another dimension of the entertainment? I hear this argument but I just don't agree because music is too distracting. When I have observers stop by dur
 ing Halloween, some of them ask if my coil can play music. I happily say no because it is a spark gap coil even though they probably don't know what I am talking about.

It seems that the ability to play music was an unexpected accidental capability of a DRSSTC when they were first built. I expect I will probably hear from some telling me that the main reason that they built their TC was to play music. What do you think?

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa