[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla’s 1899 Colorado Springs Magnifier [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla’s 1899 Colorado Springs Magnifier

Billy,

>  02 Jan. 1900 (p. 365).  Please see the very last paragraph!  Tesla
intended (time permitting) to build an extra coil for full power of
apparatus & take pictures outside!
I will have to re-read the 02 Jan entry when I get home tonight, as I don't
recall that part

> My question remains:  How could this have been done & what would the
resonant frequency be?
I believe Hull gives the oscillator's values, so it would be a simple
operation to swap in the additional values for the topload to determine the
resultant frequency.

> And as a follow up, does anyone have an idea what the lowest possible
frequency is for a Tesla coil / magnifier???
I have also wondered what frequency is the lowest practical/possible limit
for a Tesla Coil. At least for a standard AC powered spark gap coil, I
can't see it working efficiently below the line frequency* due to charging
the capacitor and spark gap break rates. Tesla's wireless was going to need
something on the 8-11Hz range, so he didn't see a problem with these low
frequencies. I think the best way to make that happen would be to run the
coil on DC to charge the capacitor and then use a rotary gap to discharge
the cap.

Are you planning on building a large low frequency magnifier?

~Dan
Kansas City area

*60 or 50 Hz depending on your grid...I think the supply to the Colorado
Springs Lab was 133Hz