At 03:30 PM 22/11/18 -0800, you wrote:
Hi Steve,

Windage is the biggest issue. The Fan Laws [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affinity_laws ]are merciless as you scale rotor size, speed and # of rotors. Even with aero shrouding, Electrum took 28.5 HP on the 30HP gap motor.

On 11/22/2018 2:03 PM, tesla-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Tedd Dillard<tedd.dillard@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tesla Digest, Vol 132, Issue 5

Greg,
I am missing something, please help me understand sir.
I do not understand why the rotary spark gap motor would necessarily need
to be so big as the size increases.
The diameter of the rotor would get bigger and so the weight would also
increase so the starting torque would also increase.
But as there is no mechanical friction involved the only power increase it
seems would be the increased windage from the rotating parts.
I can see maybe 5 horse power or so and if the motor is a regular induction
motor modified to be a synchronous motor there would be a loss of torque
due to the increases air gap but I must be missing something. So getting it
going could be an issue but once it was up to speed where is the large
power going?
Teddy