b) The motor size on a rotary gap starts getting rather unwieldy at higher power levels. Electrum needed a 30HP motor. This 40ft coil would need almost 100HP... not a very portable rig!

c) IGBTs can work at much lower impedance, typically a small fraction of an ohm, compared to many ohms for spark gaps. That allows this coil to work with primary voltages <1kV. Electrum was 44kV, and this coil would have to be 60-80kV for a rotary gap system.

Since I had no funding, this scale prototype design had to pursue cutting costs as far as possible. IGBTs provided the best value overall. However, I totally agree that a rotary gap system for 240kW service would look much cooler than a box of IGBTs. ;>

On 11/21/2018 9:10 AM, tesla-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Message: 1
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 00:22:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Steve White<steve.white1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Where is everyone?

Hello Greg,

Very impressive coil. The biggest that I have seen since that one in Oklahoma on rails a number of years ago. I don't have much experience with solid state coils as this one appears to be. Wouldn't it be easier and more reliable to use spark gap technology for a coil of this size and power level? My question is prompted by your picture of a blown IGBT which I am sure costs hundreds of dollars. But then again maybe you have a special application in mind that requires a variable firing rate or something else that I don't know about. Or maybe it is just the challenge.

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa