[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Adventures in SRSG [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Adventures in SRSG

Dan,

Fusing blowing issues aside you mentioned you're hoping the performance to be the same. Sadly I doubt you will get the same performance unless Lady Luck shows her hand. A SRSG is never a straight swap for a static, the optimal cap size for one rarely if ever suits the other. This is the reason a lot of people give up with them, plus the hassle of converting a motor of course and controlling the phase correctly. Unfortunately the real benefit of a Synchronous system can only be utilised if you use an external ballasted transformer, NOT an NST with it's inbuilt shunts. Don't run ARSG (asynchronous) with a NST unless you're feeling brave and don't like the NST much.

As for SRSG if bored sometime have a look at a very old post from Richie Burnett (below) but in your case with a NST as the power source, because of its inbuilt shunts none of it will apply, but it gives you a flavour of how things can work with an SRSG.
https://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2001/June/msg00679.html

Phil T