From: Gary Lau <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Mar 28, 2018 10:51 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Unexpected RSG phase shifter behavior

I'm not sure that 60 Hz voltage reversal is a bad thing for the cap.  After
all, when the gap is conducting, the cap is doing almost full voltage
reversals as it rings at the primary resonant frequency. There's going to
be a lot more HF reversals than 60Hz reversals.

As to whether to expect better performance by removing half of the
electrodes, 240 -> 120 BPS, this is a pig-powered system.  There's
certainly enough juice to ensure a fully charged cap at either break rate.
If you have that cap discharging at half of the BPS, you're only pulling
half of the power that 240BPS can pull.  I think that a sync RSG really
only shines when using a power-limited NST, to extract the most possible
power from that limited resource.  With a pig, I think you can pull more
power just by increasing the break rate, with an async RSG.  Disclaimer - I
have never built a pig-powered system.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA