[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question

Hi Chris

When I figure out a good way to post some pics I will. I have a lot of them.

That is nice looking stuff. If I had the space I would have that much. About 5 years ago I built a heated stand-along workshop in my back yard. At the time I thought it was plenty big but I soon realized that I should have made it twice as big. It looks like I have about half the space that you do so I have to be super efficient in how I use my space. I love machine tools. I currently have the following:

* Supermax milling machine (Bridgeport clone) with 48" table, power drawbar, XYZ axis digital readout, and extensive tooling
* Sheldon lathe with 13" swing and 48" bed with VFD drive, tachometer, and extensive tooling
* Large metal-cutting variable speed band saw
* Grinder

As you did, I used nothing but old-fashioned rigging techniques to get the mill and lathe into my work shop. It is amazing what you can do with simple hand tools and techniques when you put your mind to it. The Egyptians and the pyramids come to mind. If I had the space I would also have a horizontal mill and a surface grinder. Since my mill serves as an excellent drill press, I sold my drill press to gain space.

The rest of the space is taken up by work benches, shelves, and the equipment for my big SGTC (8-foot sparks) which is powered by a 10 KVA pole pig.

Currently I am modifying my VTTC to replace my rewound MOT filament transformer and filament pre-heat resistor with a commercial filament transformer with variac and voltmeter.

Steve