[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question

It wouldn't surprise me if some tuning could help at this point,
but the breakout level depends so much on the sharpness
of the breakout metal spike, so it's hard to say.  Late breakout
is certainly a good sign of good tuning along with large spark
length increase near the end of the variac's range.

I've never had good results tuning by tapping the primary
for some reason.  I think it's because it tends to change
the coupling and the grid feed back.  Too many things
interact.  Therefore I always tune using capacitance
only.  My primary has no tap point.  I usually used a
fixed 23.5 turn primary on a 6" dia. form, about 1/8"
per turn of wire.  That was with a 3" diameter secondary
coil.

John