[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] NST TESTING. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] NST TESTING.

James,

Yes, a DVM is a Digital VoltMeter, an essential basic tool for most any electrical or electronic work.

Even a $15.00 - $45.00 economy model from any eBay source is probably going to be good enough for basic purposes.

I don't trust the "free" toy quality DVMs that Harbor Freight gives out occasionally.  I've seen a couple of those that read zero volts when connected across a live 120 VAC line.  Not something you would want to trust your life to.

However, do not touch any part of any meter or its leads while the transformer is energized.  Be certain to resist the temptation to change the range settings while the transformer is operating.

Most commercial meters are only insulated to 600 VAC.  15 KV will happily reach out and touch you right through the meter case.

If any of the windings of the NST are open circuit, then you have an expensive paperweight.  There's no way to readily repair one of these, unless it's an old one that has suffered carbon tracking that shorts out one of the outputs.  If it is potted in asphalt, you can melt out the asphalt (a messy, stinky process best done outdoors), and occasionally you can resolve the short this way. With a modern epoxy potted NST, no repair is possible.

Dave