[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] My first SGTC build. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] My first SGTC build.

On 6/5/18 2:51 PM, krux wrote:
SGTC had no music possibilities.

Not with that attitude. :)

It can play one "note"... so just get yourself an array coils in a big electric pipe organ.

Or a rotary spark gap with a variable speed drive
Or a triggered spark gap
Or an array of rotary spark gaps with different numbers of contacts and/or speeds, using gears and belts to create harmonically related notes

Lest you think the latter is impractical, I believe it has been done. It was called something like the telharmonium or tesla organ or something.. early in 20th century.

(the telharmonium didn't use HV tesla coils.. but who's to say that someone didn't modify it for such.. I'm sure I saw a picture somewhere)

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/i/icmc/bbp2372.1991.073/1/--alternators-of-the-telharmonium-1906?page=root;size=400;view=text

use semiconductors? While I'm sure Nikola would approve of modern technology to do this, there's a certain appeal in using an architecture that is 100 years old (albeit with modern materials.. I've no desire to fabricate my own gutta percha insulation, etc.)

And, in fact, you could probably use multiple capacitors and inductors in the primary on the same secondary. The typical "conduction period" is a few cycles at, say, 300kHz. So, while primary tank #1 is firing at 440 Hz, primary tank #2 is firing at 350 Hz, and you have a spark driven dial tone generator!

It would be an interesting spice model: 1 secondary, 3 primaries, at break rates in the ratio of 4:5:6 and you'll get a Major Triad, just like your Mac when it starts up.

Or perhaps something like G3,A3,F3,F2,C3