[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Bad strike to a 12 inch traditional coil (somewhat terminal) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Bad strike to a 12 inch traditional coil (somewhat terminal)

Hello Steve,
The damage to the secondary was actually surprisingly limited with two small (about 3mm diam) charred areas corresponding to the violent flashes on the video and perhaps three or four pinhead burns. As far as I can tell, no fused turns but the subsequent 'shorted turn ' phenomena I think was the carbonising at the areas, this was also limited in scope. The winding had many coats of Dolph's AC43 which may have been partially protective but obviously unable to withstand the strike. As Phil T mentioned, I think over coupling can be ruled out since it was lowered from 0.14k this time from 0.12k last year and an almost identical flashover happened on that occasion. The coil is rather under toroided relative to the 12" sec diameter but this cannot be resolved for a few months. The same 50" diam fabricated toroid we use on Phil T's 8" SRSG coil running at the same power is highly protective, his secondary never suffering this kind of damage.

Regards,Phil S.

14 Broad Street, Stamford, Lincs PE9 1PG

Tel: 01780 753008