[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question

I experimented with different lengths of breakout terminal today. I tried everything from 1.5" to 4" in 0.5" increments. I didn't see any improvement over my original 4" breakout terminal.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Reeland" <chrisreeland@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 1:00:10 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question

Hi Steve,

I would stay with current toroid height.
Don't go any higher. I like to "couple" mine somewhat "tight" to the top of
the  winding. For me, I am wording this different, because I have several
sizes of toroids on hand, besides charge, I use them to alter secondary
frequency at times. So not the center line but the bottom of toroid ring,
no lower than top of winding. So I shoot for 0"-1". Your currently about
1.25" which is fine i think.
Just a comment also, at least so far on tube coils I have built, (also
working on a very, very large tube coil, not the 3-500ZG project, getting
there on parts, so this may change, I will do a quick short test out of
curiosity, then use a toroid of course) I have yet to see any corona come
from the top windings unlike a spark gap type. I have run with no toroid at
all in the past. The sparks are not "focused", shoot off at sharp angles
mostly and at least me not as sword like and the length suffers. So they
help to focus the sparks straight up.
Too small and they wander. Your current size should be fine. Just a note I
was using a kind of large copper tubing toroid which has it's mounting
flange not on the center line. It is offset. I tried this once with it
"overlapping" the top windings and for me it hurt performance, so I flipped
it over of course. It is 9.5" x 2.5" and this was what I was using until I
upped the power level. Ran into a problem when I tuned for the 140v. The
extra spark loading pulled my frequency too low and sparks became spoiled
and reached about 22". Want straighter of course...so I had to bring
frequency back up by using a smaller toroid, but not too small of course.
Did try anyway just to see again.
Ended up with a 4.25" x 1" for now and got 24", but they are just a little
spoiled still. So I have stripped off the wire on form and going to rewind
for a higher starting frequency. There related issues to this also, give
details later.
Just want to mention that I was using a fine #32 on 2" by 14" the T-200
coil. Had a high 128 ohm resistance also. Actually all really undesirable
traits. Originally I really never planned on running this coil this way,
but I decided the heck, let's see what I can get.

Ok, onto breakout, it seems quite a bit too long to me from my experience.
On my 9.5" I had for me a 2.75". The current 4.25" is 2.5". For me about
1.5" and less give the crazy branches.

So experiment with a temporary stiff piece of copper wire and snip away...
before modifying the nice one until you are sure and done messing with this.

I will have some more details coming later again also, I did a lot of
experimenting last weekend.

Chris

Sent from my LG V20