[Home][2018 Index] [TCML] VTTC tank capacitor [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] VTTC tank capacitor

I recently got my 833A-based VTTC running based on Steve Ward's design. I am getting 18" sparks with staccato which is acceptable but I think I should be able to get a little more. Tuning is good. The one area that I am looking at is the tank capacitor. I am currently using a Murata ceramic doorknob unit with 2 nf rated at 40 KV. It is a high quality capacitor with only 0.3% dissipation. It also has temperature compensation to reduce drift. I can feel no noticeable warming after 15 minutes of operation so I assume that the losses are low.

I have found a mica transmitter capacitor valued at 2 nf and 15 KV that I am thinking of trying. Before I by this capacitor does anyone think t will help? Also, does 15 KV sound like an adequate voltage rating?

The reason that I question whether a mica capacitor will help is because, looking at Steve Ward's pictures of his 833A VTTC, it appears that he is also using the Murata doorknob capacitor and he reports getting 22" sparks.